Area rugs are truly a wonderful decorating accessory in almost any room. They come in so many colors and patterns. They can be the foundation or inspiration for your design and color scheme., and they create focus and delineate spaces. You can harmonize elements in any decor or revitalize a room. There are endless possibilities in selecting rugs. Persian, Oriental, contemporary, country, casual, are some of the styles that you can find to compliment your decor.
Here are some things to consider when looking for a rug for your room:
1. Visualize a look for the room. Do you want a room that is uncluttered and monotone, or a room rich in color and texture.
2. If you start with an empty room, choose the rug and then paint the walls in a color (s) found in the rug.
3. A rug has to fit a room. Consider how the room is to be used, how much traffic the area gets, and lighting in the space.
4. Choose furniture that enhances the rug design or the colors found in the rug.
5. If you start with furniture, choose a rug that will pick up the colors used in your furnishings. Patterns can be mixed if they are coordinated by color and scale.
6. Elements of a rug design can be further incorporated into the overall design scheme. For example: if the rug is a floral, add framed prints of florals in similar colors on the walls.
7. Most common area rug sizes are 5′ x 8′ or 6′ x 9′. These work well under a coffee table. Larger rugs are good for covering more of the room or in large areas.
8. Small area and scatter rugs can be ideal for adorning small areas – like a hearth, a bedside, in front of a kitchen sink. They add color, warmth, and texture.
9. A rug with a bold, overall design can be a focal point of a room with a solid sofa and chairs, or subdued patterns.
10. Light colored area rugs make a room more spacious, while deeper colors lend themselves to creating coziness in the room.
11. Choose a rug that will perform well…with the right amount of density and fiber. The denser the pile, the better the rug will wear.
12. Think outside of the box and consider the idea of getting a circular or octagonal rug to add flair to the room.
13. When shopping for a rug, don’t forget to bring swatches of any fabrics you’d like to compliment in your existing decor.
14. Don’t underestimate the value of a rug pad. It not only absorbs the impact of feet and noise, but it also reduces wear and tear on the rug.
15. On wall-to-wall carpets, rugs add a dimension of luxury.
16.. Rugs can be used to define a dining area, a conversation area, or create the focus under a bed in the bedroom.